As an Arvada resident, if you have ever been in an auto accident you know it can be a stressful situation. We hope you will find the following list of of steps to take if you are ever involved in an auto accident useful:
- Carry a set of warning triangles or emergency flares in your trunk to help alert traffic.
- Carry a card in your glove compartment that contains emergency contact information and any necessary medical information.
- Also, it’s not a bad idea to keep a pen and paper along with a disposable camera in the car.
Immediately After an Accident
- Check for injuries; call an ambulance when in doubt.
- If accident is minor, move cars out of traffic.
- Turn on your vehicle’s hazard lights and use warning triangles or flares for safety.
- Call the police.
- Notify your insurance agent immediately.
Other Important Tips
- Do not sign any document unless it’s for the police.
- Make immediate notes about the accident, including specific damages to all vehicles involved, witness information. If possible use a disposable camera or camera in your cell phone to document everything.
- If the name on an auto registration is different than the driver, jot down the relationship.
- State only the facts, and limit your discussion of the accident to the police.
- If possible, don’t leave the accident scene before the police and other drivers do.